This policy covers all sums (inclusive of defence costs) which the insured becomes legally liable to pay as damages as a consequence of:
- Accidental death/ bodily injury or disease to any third party.
- Accidental damage to property belonging to a third party arising out of any defect in the product manufactured by the insured and specifically mentioned in the policy after such product has left the insured's premises.
The policy offers the benefit of retroactive period on continuous renewal of policy whereby claims reported in subsequent renewal but pertaining to earlier period after first inception of policy, also become payable.
- The defect in the product may be a manufacturing defect or may even be due to faulty packaging, delivery specifications or instructions as to use of the product.
- The policy covers the sales turnover of the company- both domestic and/or exports.
- The policy is on claims made basis i.e. the claims must arise and be made in writing on the insurance company during the policy period.
- The policy does not cover any liability for product recall, product guarantee, pure financial loss such as loss of goodwill or loss of market. The policy also does not pay for the cost incurred for repairing or reconditioning or modifying the defective part of the product.
Who can take the policy?
The policy can be taken by the manufacturer of any product whether it is the final product or part of the final product.